These cute Blackberry Friands are packed with juicy blackberries and star anise flavor to make a special sweet treat. Baked as hearts, they are especially enjoyable on Valentine’s day. You’ll be sure to enjoy these newly shaped and tasting Friands!
For the friands:
- 6.4 oz (180 g) butter
- 1/3 cup + 7 tsp (60 g) flour
- 1 1/2 cups + 5 tsp ( 200 g) powdered (icing) sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (120 g) almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground star anise
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp (150 g egg) whites (see note #1)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 pinch of salt
For the decoration:
- 16 fresh blackberries
Preheat oven to 430 degrees F/ 220 C. Prepare a friand mold or a heart-shaped silicone mold : butter and flour cavities and refrigerate the mold while making the friand batter.
To make the brown butter, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat till the golden color. Once it is ready (look for the golden brown color, solid brown sediments on sides and bottom of the pan and hazelnut smell), pour butter in another bowl to stop cooking. Let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain through a mini-sieve and discard the solids. Set the brown butter aside.
To make the friand batter, in a bowl, sift flour, powdered (icing) icing sugar, almond flour , ground star anise and salt. In a separate bowl, slightly beat egg whites with a fork or a hand whisk for a few seconds (they do not need to be mounted). Pour beaten egg whites into the dry mixture and combine. Add the orange zest and brown butter, and mix till the batter becomes homogeneous.
Take the prepared mold out of the fridge and fill the cavities up to two-thirds. Arrange two whole blackberries on top. Bake friands for 9 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 410 F/210 C and continue to bake for another 8 to 10 minutes: the edges of friands have to become golden brown and the centers get a slight “bump”. Check the readiness of friands with a toothpick: the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Take the cakes out of the oven and let them cool in the mold. Remove friands and place them on a wire rack . Sprinkle cakes with powdered (icing) sugar.
- 150 g egg whites approximately equal 4 raw fresh egg whites from extra large size chicken eggs.
- To make ground star anise , crush 3 whole star anise in a spice grinder and pass through a mini-sieve two to three times or use a store-bought ground star anise .
- Replace fresh blackberries with fresh blueberries or raspberries, or use frozen berries.
- Store friands in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 26.3 g
- Sodium: 168 mg
- Fat: 25.9 mg
- Saturated Fat: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 48 mg
Keywords: friands, blackberry friands, friand recipe, valentines desserts, easy recipe