Follow this Cherry Clafoutis recipe to make the easiest summer treat in under 45 minutes. This fancy-sounding and fancy-looking French custard is perfectly served as a dessert or as sumptuous breakfast. You need to try this simple recipe!
For the batter:
- 15.8 oz (450 g) cherries
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup + 10 teaspoons (110 g) flour
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoons (90 g) granulated sugar
- 2 cups + 5 1/2 teaspoons (500 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (150 ml ) whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons rum
For the decoration:
- powdered (icing) sugar
- cherry jam
Preheat oven to 420 F/215 C. To make the batter, in a bowl, place eggs, salt, vanilla sugar, granulated sugar, and flour, and whisk 5 minutes, using a hand whisk . Add rum, whole milk, heavy cream, and mix everything a few minutes. Pour the batter to the bottom of an oblong baking dish up to 1 to 2 cm (do not grease the pan) and bake for 15 minutes.
Take the dish out of the oven and place it in the freezer for 5 minutes. Add a new layer of the remaining batter and arrange unpitted cherries with shortened tails. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes while watching.
Decorate ready clafoutis with cherries dipped in a cherry jam. Sprinkle with powdered (icing) sugar.
- Make the clafoutis in an iron skillet, fluted pie dish, or individual square ramekins .
- Replace rum with kirsch (cherry brandy), other fruit brandy or vanilla extract, if you are going to serve the dish to kids.
- Pit cherries if you want, primarily if you serve the dish to small kids. However, take into consideration that the color of pitted cherries would bleed into the custard.
- Rest the batter for at least 30 to 60 minutes, better overnight, in the fridge. This step allows protein in the flour to chill out and relax; although, this step is optional.
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Sodium: 74 mg
- Fat: 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.1 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 136 mg
Keywords: clafoutis, cherry clafoutis, cherry clafoutis recipe, French cherry dessert, easy clafoutis recipe