Keep this Pistachio Financier recipe on hand, which requires a hands-on time of just 20 minutes to make the amazingly easy and delicious French treats. Put a kettle on and treat yourself, your family, and friends with one or two of these fluffy cakes.
For the batter:
- 1/3 cup + 4 teaspoons (40 g) almond flour
- 2/3 cup + 4 1/2 tablespoons (120 g) powdered (icing) sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (70 g) all-purpose flour
- 2.6 oz (75 g) ground raw pistachios
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5.3 oz (150 g) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup (160 g) egg whites (see note #3)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (20 g) granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
For the decoration:
- chopped raw pistachios
- To make the brown butter, melt unsalted butter in a saucepan over low heat. Once it is ready (look for the brown color, hazelnut smell and brown solids at the bottom of the pan), pour the butter in another bowl to stop cooking. Let it cool for 10 minutes (some dark bits will remain in the butter, which is normal).
- To make the batter, place almond flour , all-purpose flour, baking powder , powdered (icing) sugar, and ground pistachios in a bowl and mix with a hand whisk or an electric mixer . This step is necessary in order to aerate the mixture and to avoid lumps. Pour the brown butter and mix with a rubber spatula .
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with granulated sugar and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer for no longer than 30 seconds. Egg whites have to be slightly “sparkled.” Divide the whites into three parts.
- Add the first part of egg whites to the main preparation and mix well with a hand whisk. Then add the second and the third parts of whites, each time vigorously mixing with the whisk. Cover the batter with a plastic film on contact and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 355 F/180 C. Using a pastry bag or a spoon, fill each cavity of a financier mold up to 2/3 and sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Bake cakes for 12 minutes. Let them cool for a few minutes and take cakes from the mold.
- Read more about how to make brown butter here.
- Multiply all the ingredients by 1.5 and bake financiers in a mini muffin pan . Butter each cavity and increase the baking time, adding a few more minutes.
- 160 g egg whites approximately equal 5 1/2 raw fresh egg whites from medium size chicken eggs.
- Replace chopped pistachios with 1 to 3 fresh raspberries to place on top of each financier before baking.
- if you desire.
- on the same day of baking.
- How to use leftover egg yolks? Read about 20 Ways to Use Up Leftover Egg Yolks.
- Serving Size: 1 cake
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 8.8 g
- Sodium: 65 mg
- Fat: 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.1 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
Keywords: pistachio financiers, pistachio financier recipe, financier recipe, financier cake