Whip up a batch of German Cinnamon Star Cookies that make a great edible Christmas gift. Flavored with cinnamon and covered with a snowy white royal icing, these cookies bring the German holiday tradition to your home!
For the cookie dough:
- 175 g butter, softened
- 125 g caster sugar
- 25 g ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 50 g hazelnut flour
- 50 g almond flour
- 250 g flour
For the white royal icing:
- 200 g icing sugar
- 30 g egg whites
- several drops of lemon juice
To make the cookie dough, place softened butter, caster sugar and ground cinnamon in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix. Add the egg, hazelnut and almond flour and mix again. Finally, add flour sifted with a flour sifter and mix just to combine. Remove the cookie dough from the bowl and form a ball.
To make the white royal icing, whisk the egg white with icing sugar and 3-4 drops of lemon juice.
Take the cookie dough out of the fridge and spread a thin layer of royal icing with a bent spatula . Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 F/150 C. Cut out cookies-stars with a star-shaped cookie cutter 2 inch/5 cm, remove cookies by pushing them underneath and arrange them on a baking sheet covered with the parchment.
Bake cookies for 12 to 15 minutes. They must be baked, but the royal icing must not color. Remove cookies from the oven and let them cool down.
- and keep it in the freezer in order to bake cookies at the time of your choice.
- to make these cookies.
- Wash and dry a star cookie cutter (if necessary) before cutting the next cookie. It makes cookies neat!
- If you do not have a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut regular strips 3 cm wide and bevel them to form 2 cm triangles.
- Test and adjust your oven. Do not over bake cookies; otherwise, the royal icing gets a light brown color.
- The remaining cookie scraps (falls) are not pretty as cinnamon stars, but you could bake them as well. They are delicious!
- Cinnamon star cookies can be stored in a dry, airtight container in a cool place for at least 2 weeks.
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 16.3 g
- Sodium: 55 mg
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.8 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 27 mg
Keywords: cookies, christmas cookies, christmas cookie recipes, shortbread cookies, german cookies, zimsterne