Hazelnut Praline Paste is a delicious gluten-free and dairy-free breakfast spread and a base for many different pastries. It is an easy recipe with a 100% guaranteed result!
- 7 oz (200 g) hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup + 4 tsp (130 g) granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of fleur de sel
To roast hazelnuts, preheat oven to 300 F/150 C. Spread whole nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove skins by wrapping warm hazelnuts in a dishtowel (rub vigorously!) and let them sit 5 to 10 minutes. Place roasted hazelnuts as a single layer on parchment paper or a silicone baking mat .
To make the caramel, heat a non-stick pan with a heavy bottom for a few seconds and pour one-third of granulated sugar. Cook over medium heat, swirling and shaking the pan over your stove. Once the sugar starts melting, add another third of the sugar and continue to swirl the pan. Do not mix the caramel (when the sugar melts) with a spoon or spatula! Add the last third of the sugar and continue to cook. The caramel might look lumpy and grainy, but it will melt at some point. Lower the heat and cook until the caramel gets the golden color. The key is swirling the pan while cooking!
Pour the caramel over roasted hazelnuts and cool completely, about 20 minutes. Break the caramel plate into pieces and place it in the bowl of a food processor . Turn on low speed and get a praline powder first. Then switch to higher speed and process more until it turns into the Praline.
- Use store-bought roasted unsalted hazelnuts to save time for making Praline.
- DO NOT touch the pot or the caramel while it is still hot, or you may get burned.
- Replace fleur de sel with any coarse salt or sea salt; however, don’t use iodized table salt because the taste would be too strong.
- Store Praline in a mason glass jar at room temperature for up to one week, in the fridge for up to one month.
- Freeze and defrost Praline as needed.
- Serving Size: 30g
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 13.9g
- Sodium: 16mg
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 16.3g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: hazelnut praline, hazelnut paste, hazelnut praline paste, praline paste recipe, gluten-free, breakfast spread