Raspberry Lava Cake (Mi-cuit au Chocolat)
Sink your spoon into this chocolate raspberry lava cake - an indulging molten chocolate cake with the running chocolate center. It takes only 30 minutes to whip up the five-ingredient batter and serve cakes right from the oven from start to finish.
- Author: Irina
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For the cake batter:
- 1.4 oz. (40 g) butter
- 2.7 oz. (75 g) dark chocolate + 3 pieces of dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 9 1/2 teaspoons (45 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
For the raspberry sauce:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1.7 oz. (50 g) fresh raspberries
- 0.7 oz. (20 g) pistachios, chopped
Preheat oven to 425 F/218 C. Butter and flour three small, individual ramekins and set aside.
- To make the raspberry sauce, pour water and sugar in a saucepan, add raspberries and cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add chopped pistachios at the last moment and remove them from the heat. Let it cool down.
To make the cake batter, melt chocolate and butter in a bain-marie/water bath. Using an electric mixer, whip eggs and sugar until the mixture whitens. Add flour and melted chocolate with butter, and mix with a rubber spatula. Fill ramekins with the batter up to halfway and place a chocolate piece in the center. Finish filling the molds. Bake for 12 minutes.
Remove lava cakes from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes. Place a dessert plate on top of the ramekin. Flip the dish and ramekin together to remove the cake from the mold. Sprinkle with powdered (icing) sugar, pour raspberry sauce on top of each cake, and serve immediately.
- Use fresh or frozen berries to make the raspberry sauce and let it cool while baking lava cakes.
- Ensure to use high-quality dark chocolate such as Scharffen Berger dark chocolate *, Valrhona dark chocolate *, or Lindt Excellence dark chocolate. Please, do not use chocolate chips.
- Be sure to read how to melt chocolate before you begin.
- Add a pinch of salt or use salted butter to intensify the flavor of chocolate.
- The baking time is the key to making this dessert. You might need to use a toothpick to test the cakes' center to make sure that they are not over-baked.
- To release cakes, use a knife to loosen them from the edges. Then let the ramekin sit upside down for a few seconds after the flipping movement.
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 45.2 g
- Sodium: 174 mg
- Fat: 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.1 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 7.4 g
- Cholesterol: 144 mg
Keywords: chocolate raspberry lava cake, raspberry lava cake, molten lava cake, dark chocolate lava cake