Layered with buttercream, this meringue-based Cake Sans Rival finished off with roasted chopped cashews is pure dessert decadence. Follow the ultimate indulgent recipe to make this Filipino cake. It is gone from a table once it is served! No crumbs left!
For the meringue:
- 3/4 cup ground cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
For the Sansrival icing:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
For the decoration:
- 1 1/2 cup roasted chopped cashews
To make the meringue, mix ground and chopped cashews and all-purpose flour in a bowl and set aside. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar at the medium speed for 1 minute with the use of an electric mixer , gradually adding the sugar. Then switch the mixer to the high speed and continue to beat egg whites for about 4 to 5 minutes until medium peaks form. Add the flour/nuts mixture to the beaten egg whites and mix with a rubber spatula , until well combined.
Equally distribute the preparation into the prepared cake rings and spread evenly, using a small spatula, or just pipe from a pastry bag . Bake the meringue for 50 to 55 minutes or until dry. Once the meringue disks are baked, immediately flip each of them onto another sheet of the parchment paper . Peel off parchment from the bottom and allow to cool.
To make the Sansrival icing, beat egg yolks and vanilla extract for about 8 to 10 minutes at high speed, using an electric mixer . Bring water and sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan over low heat and cook the sugar syrup up to 240 F/115 C. Reset the mixer to low speed and gently pour the sugar syrup over the beaten egg yolks and beat. Transfer the ready egg yolks/sugar mixture to another bowl, cover with a plastic film and let it cool. In a separate bowl, beat the softened butter at low speed until smooth. Switch the mixer to medium speed and continue to beat, until volume increases. Reset the mixer to low speed again and add the cooled egg yolks/sugar mixture. Whisk until the Sansrival icing is smooth.
To assemble the cake, place the first meringue disk on a board. Spread the Sansrival icing on the top of the disk. Sprinkle with roasted chopped cashews. Repeat this operation with the remaining three meringue disks and the Sansrival icing. Cover top of the cake and its edges with the icing. Sprinkle with roasted chopped cashews.
- Use large eggs to make the cake.
- To roast cashews, heat oven to 300 F/150 C and roast nuts on a baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Do not over beat the meringue: you should reach medium peaks (not the firm ones).
- Make meringue disks one day ahead and store in an airtight container or simply cover them with a kitchen towel. You might choose to bake two meringue disks at a time, using two cake rings.
- Use a cooking thermometer to check the correct temperature of the sugar syrup.
- Take butter out of the fridge 2 hours before making the Sansrival icing. Then cut butter into small cubes to get 1 1/2 cup.
- Try to adjust the baking time of your oven. The recommended baking time is 50 to 55 minutes, but it could be less or longer. The ready meringue disks have to be dry.
- Switch cashews with other nuts such as peanuts or pistachios.
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 30.1g
- Sodium: 197mg
- Fat: 31.9g
- Saturated Fat: 16.6g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 143mg
Keywords: sans rival, sans rival cake, sans rival recipe, sansrival goldilocks, Filipino desserts, Filipino dessert recipes