Meringue dessert Merveilleux is a crunch meringue sandwich filled with a layer of whipped cream and covered with chocolate chips. Simply, it is a white sugar cloud of deliciousness. It is a dessert to die for!
For the coffee meringue:
- 2/3 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp (200 g) egg whites
- 2/3 cup + 3 1/2 tbsp (200 g) granulated sugar (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups + 5 tsp (200 g) powdered (icing) sugar
- 1 capsule of coffee Ristretto (see notes)
For the whipped cream:
- 3 cups + 4 tbsp (750 g) whipping cream
- 1/3 cup (75 g) granulated sugar
For the decoration:
- 5.3 oz (150 g) Trader Joe’s dark chocolate (see notes)
Preheat oven to 195 F/90 C. Draw circles 2.5 inch/6 cm on parchment paper . Turn the paper over so that the drawing is facing down.
To make the meringue, open a capsule of Ristretto and place ground coffee aside. Using an electric or stand mixer , beat egg whites (at room temperature), gradually add granulated sugar and whick till the meringue becomes glossy. Once egg whites are set, add powdered (icing) sugar, ground coffee and mix with a rubber spatula . Place the meringue in a pastry bag with Ateco plain pastry tip 806 and pipe small spirals/rosettes onto drawn circles. Bake meringues for 2 hours. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues with the door closed for another one hour.
To make the whipped cream, whisk cold whipping cream, gradually adding granulated sugar. Use an electric mixer to whip the cream until stiff.
To assemble sandwich meringues, pipe the whipped cream on the meringue rosette. Finish with another meringue on top, placing upside down (flat side up). Garnish edges and cover the top of sandwiched meringues with the cream. Smooth their sides and top, using a bent spatula . Place the meringues on a board and cover top of each meringue with the cream. Place meringues in the freezer for about 10 minutes before rolling them in chocolate chips.
To make chocolate chips, scrape a chocolate bar with a large knife, a vegetable peeler or use a mandoline slicer . Place chocolate chips in a large dish. Roll each sandwiched meringue in chocolate chips, except the bottom. Refrigerate.
- Process granulated sugar in a food processor for a few seconds to make superfine sugar. It dissolves quicker and easier while whisking.
- Replace 1 capsule of coffee Ristretto with 1 1/2 tsp (5 g) of your favorite ground coffee.
- Prepare meringue rosettes one day ahead and store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Make about 12.3 oz (350 g) of middle sized chocolate chips to facilitate rolling the meringues.
- Roll meringues in white chocolate chips, crumbled speculoos, crispy crepes gavottes , pink chocolate curls , chopped Pink Praline or nuts to experiment with tastes and flavors.
- Whisk 1 cup (230 g) of whipping cream with 1 1/2 tbsp (23 g) of granulated sugar till medium peaks and decorate top of each meringue cake with a swirl of the whipped cream, using an open star pastry tip .
- If you want to add a tangy note, hide a raspberry inside while assembling the meringues. This version is far from the original recipe, but there is always place for experimentation.
- Serve the dessert right away to keep the crispiness of meringues, since the longer you keep the assembled cakes the softer the meringues becomes.
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 27.5 g
- Sodium: 29 mg
- Fat: 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8.g
- Carbohydrates: 29.4 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
Keywords: merveilleux, merveilleux recipe, recette merveilleux, merveilleux de Fred, sandwich meringue