Meringue Spheres with Chestnut Cream by Paul-Arthur Berlan is a simple and delicious Christmas dessert. Spoil yourself, spoil Santa and spoil your guests with the edible “snowballs”. Make your Christmas table magical!
For the meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g icing sugar
For the chestnut cream:
- 100 g chestnut cream
- 100 g whipping cream
- 50 ml old rum
For the decoration:
- 1 combawa (or lime)
- Heat the oven to 195 degrees F/90 C.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites till they are mounted. Gradually add the caster sugar and whisk to get the glossy meringue. Stir in the icing sugar with a rubber spatula . Place the meringue in a pastry bag with the cut end and push the mixture in cavities of spherical silicone molds. Smooth the meringue on the whole hemisphere with the back of a tablespoon. Bake for 3-4 hours. Take the meringues out of the oven and let cool down. Then carefully remove the meringue half spheres from the molds.
- To make the chestnut cream, whip the whipping cream to get a whipped cream. Stir in the chestnut cream and old rum.
- To assemble meringue spheres, make small dots with the chestnut whipped cream on a serving platter and place over half spheres (it helps to fix meringue spheres). Garnish half spheres with the cream and place another half sphere on top to form a ball. Sprinkle meringue spheres with icing sugar and combawa (or lime) zest.
- The chief’s advice: peel the bark of a clementine by leaving the minimum of white, a source of excessive bitterness. Place peels in a saucepan with the cold water and sugar, then bring to a boil. Cook clementine peels for 90 minutes. Drain them and cut into thin strips. Place one clementine stip on top of the chestnut cream and cover with a half sphere.
- Replace a combawa with a lime.
- Bake the meringue half spheres, placing the silicon molds on the oven racks (do not place moulds on a baking sheet).
- Check meringue half spheres for readiness in 2.5 hours (it might be enough). The meringue is ready once it is crispy to touch.
- Make meringue spheres the day before serving.
Keywords: white christmas, christmas dessert, meringue, dessert, meringue cookies, meringue recipe, meringue cookie recipe, gift ideas