This spiced French Gingerbread Loaf recipe is perfect to make all year round. Full of festive flavors such as dark rum and spice blend, this Gingerbread baked as little loaves makes a great edible gift during holidays.
For the syrup:
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons (280 ml) water
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (190 g) honey
- 1/3 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons (110 g) granulated sugar
- 0.5 oz (15 g) whole star anise (see note #1)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
For the loaf:
- 2 2/3 cup + 2 1/2 teaspoons (340 g) flour
- 1/4 cup (37 g) corn starch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (40 ml) dark rum
- 4 teaspoons (20 g) baking powder
- 2.6 oz (75 g) dried apricots
- 2.6 oz (75 g) prunes
- 2.6 oz (75 g) slivered almonds
- 1.5 oz (45 g) dried cranberries
For the decoration:
- 3.5 oz (100 g) speculoos cookies
- 1.7 oz (50 g) apricot jam
- dried apricots
- Medjool dates
- To make the syrup, pour water, honey, sugar, and add
- The next day, preheat oven to 320 F/ 160 C. To make the dough, mix flour, corn starch, and baking powder in a bowl. Drain the syrup with a colander and discard spices. Add rum to the syrup and mix. Stir dry ingredients into the wet mixture and combine with a hand whisk . Add whole prunes, dried apricots, dried cranberries and slivered almonds to the mixture and combine. Pour the preparation in a buttered nonstick loaf pan or a silicone loaf pan , filling up to three quarters. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Check the readiness of the loaf with a toothpick: if it comes out dry, Gingerbread is ready.
- To decorate the loaf, place speculoos cookies in a food processor and crush to get crumbs. Heat apricot jam in a microwave and spread it all over Gingerbread, using a silicone brush . Generously sprinkle the loaf’s sides with crumbled speculoos cookies. Dip each dried fruit in a heated apricot jam, shaking off the excess jam, and arrange prunes, dried apricots, Medjool dates, raisins on top, overlapping each other. Fill the gaps between fruit with crumbled cookies.
- 0.5 oz (15 g) of star anise approximately equal 18 whole star anise or 9 teaspoons of ground star anize.
- Replace slivered almonds with blanched almonds .
- Experiment with dried fruit and make your own combinations.
- for date syrup or maple syrup.
- Adjust the baking time and test the loaf/loaves for readiness with a toothpick, if you use small loaf pans.
- of the loaf for the additional decoration.
- Serve gingerbread Loaf with Alsatian lager, such as Fischer, that will magnify flavors of honey and spices.
- Store the cooled loaf in a plastic bag at room temperature up to two to three days.
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 32.9 g
- Sodium: 6 mg
- Fat: 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 67.7 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: French gingerbread, gingerbread loaf, gingerbread cake, gingerbread loaf recipe, spiced gingerbread loaf, homemade gingerbread