You will win hearts with these cute Raspberry Shortbread Cookies on Valentine’s day! Cookies glazed with chocolate and topped with a “mountain” of airy meringue have a hidden raspberry inside. Pure indulgence!
For the cookies:
- 5.3 oz (150 g) butter, softened
- 2 cups (250 g) flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (70 g) powdered (icing) sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.7 fl oz (50 ml) water
For the chocolate glaze:
- 3.5 oz (100 g) dark chocolate
- 5 1/2 tsp (25 g) grapeseed oil
- 1 oz (30 g) pistachios
For the meringue:
- 6 large egg whites (180 g)
- 2/3 cup + 2 tbsp (180 g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp (180 g) powdered (icing) sugar
For the decoration:
- fresh raspberries
- freeze dried raspberries
- ground pistachios
Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C. Take the cookie dough out of the fridge and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper until the thickness is about 3 mm. Refrigerate for a few minutes again. Using a fluted cookie cutter , cut out circles of dough, approximately 2.5 inch/7 cm in diameter. Arrange cut pieces on a baking sheet covered with parchment or a silicone bread baking mat and bake for about 15 minutes.
To make the chocolate glaze, toast pistachios in the oven for 15 minutes at 300 F/150 C. Break dark chocolate in small pieces and melt it in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring each time it stops. Add grapeseed oil and chopped pistachios. Wait for a few minutes for the glaze to cool. Dip each cookie into the chocolate, arrange on a wire rack and place a raspberry on each cookie over the glaze. Let the chocolate set.
To make the meringue, beat egg whites at room temperature, using an electric or a stand mixer . Add granulated sugar in three times and continue to whisk until the meringue is glossy. Gently add the sifted powdered (icing) sugar and mix with a rubber spatula . Place the ready meringue in a pastry bag with an open star pastry tip – Wilton 1M.
- To decorate, pipe the meringue over each raspberry and burn it with a blow torch . Sprinkle top of the meringue with ground pistachios and crushed freeze dried raspberries
- food processor and pulse a few times to achieve the fine grind. , place nuts in a
- Crush freeze dried raspberries, using a food processor . Transfer crushes berries to a mini-strainer and make the powder, if you prefer. This step is optional.
- To get a beautiful texture on the outer side of cookies, bake them on a silicone bread baking mat . Bake cookies on the parchment, if you do not have the mat.
- Top the glazed cookies with raspberries right after the application of chocolate or later; this step is up to you.
- If you are short on time, omit glazing cookies with chocolate. Leave cookies plain.
- Replace fresh raspberries with fresh blackberries, if you prefer.
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 22.7 g
- Sodium: 59 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.9 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: shortbread cookies, raspberry shortbread cookies, Valentine's shortbread cookies, Valentine's desserts