You will be making this vanilla baby Dutch pancake recipe again once you give it a try! All you need is a pancake batter, a very hot pan in a very hot oven to make a spectacular breakfast in the blink of an eye, without any effort!
For the batter:
- 1/2 cup (120 g) milk
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (70 g) flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (20 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- 0.7 oz (20 g) flaked toasted almonds
To make the batter, place sifted flour, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract , and salt in a blender and process on medium-high speed for about 10-15 seconds. Using a rubber spatula , scrape down the sides and process for another 10-15 seconds. The batter has to be smooth and liquidy. If you notice some lumps, pass the batter through a fine-mesh sieve. Let it rest 30 minutes in the blender.
Place a 9-inches/23 cm oven-safe skillet inside the oven and preheat oven to 425 F/218 C. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven (use oven mitts to hold the skillet), add butter and swirl the pan to melt butter, coating the bottom and sides of the pan.
Pour all the batter into the center of the hot pan and bring the skillet in the oven. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until the pancake puffed and golden brown on the sides. Keep an eye on it: it burns quickly!
Take the pancake out of the oven. Remove the excess melted butter, drizzle with chocolate Nutella, sprinkle with flaked toasted almonds, and serve in the pan or transfer the baby Dutch to a serving platter.
- food processor fitted with the blade attachment or whisk the batter with a hand whisk . use a
- Make sure that the batter is smooth with no lumps: pass it through a fine-mesh sieve if needed.
- Do not skip the step of heating a skillet in the oven: this is essential to help the pancake puff.
- Add a pinch of ground nutmeg to the batter if you desire.
- Replace a vanilla extract with the same amount of dark rum or Grand Marnier to make a new flavored Dutch baby.
- Experiment with other flavorings such as orange flower water , rose water , almond extract , etc.
- to increase the puffiness of the pancake.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 9.6 g
- Sodium: 155 mg
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 120 mg
Keywords: baby Dutch, Dutch baby, vanilla Dutch baby, baby Dutch pancake, Dutch oven pancake, Dutch pancake recipe